Monday, January 23, 2017

Post #2

As a student, I have used Microsoft Word to write papers, to create resumes and cover letters, and to take notes in class using OneNote. Microsoft Word was also used to spellcheck my writings, and to make charts and graphs. Also as a student I have seen teachers and professors use Microsoft Word to create syllabus, and to communicate instructions for assignments throughout the semester.

Whenever I hear the phrase copyright and fair use of material, the first word that comes to mind is PLAGIARISM. I have been hearing talk about plagiarism every year at the beginning of the semester since the 9th grade. When I began college as a freshman, the Academic Honor Policy has been reinforced over and over during syllabus overviews, footnotes at the end of assignment instructions, emails, and pop-up messages before submitting assignments through BlackBoard, SafeAssign, and TurnItIn. As a teacher I will deal with the concept of copyright and fair use by getting familiar with the guidelines of using and distributing intellectual work from others. Therefore, I will know as a teacher what material I would have to pay for, and how many pages in a textbook I can copy or scan for my students before it is considered illegal. I will deal with copyright issues with my students by having them turn in their assignments through SafeAssign or TurnItIn, which is a database of student assignments in archives that dates back many years. It will cross-reference assignments and papers to ensure that students are creating their own work. 

As I reflect on the technology implementation issues that were discussed in Chapter 11 of the course textbook, I have proposed solutions to cyberbullying, protecting students safety and privacy, and ensuring academic honesty, in order to promote integrity amongst digital citizens. The solution I have proposed to decrease incidences of cyberbullying, would be to have a class discussion that would inform students about what cyberbullying is, and the affects cyberbullying may have on the victims, and the consequences the culprit will face. I can also show video clips of students who have been victims of cyberbullying, so that my students can be sympathetic towards this issue. As a teacher I will promote the protection of students safety and privacy by creating a presentation about cyber-etiquette. For example, I will discuss key issues such as why students should not post their addresses, and phone numbers for safety reasons, and I will teach students the steps to make their social media accounts private or how to customize what information is viewable to the public. Lastly, I will send a letter home to parents about the importance of monitoring their children's social media. The solution I have proposed to promote integrity amongst digital citizens is to go over the Academic Honor Policy with my students, and create a quiz of realistic scenarios about plagiarism. Afterwards, as a class we will go over the answers to the quiz to ensure that everyone is on the same page, and close by discussing the consequences the students will face if they do not abide by the strict rules. 

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with what you have to say about plagiarism. Like you said that word has been hammered into our brains for so long, it is just an immediate connection whenever someone utters the word copyright.

    I also really appreciate the emphasis you put on discussion, when it comes to dealing with issues in the classroom. I believe that discussing these issues with students will garner much more of a response than simply lecturing to them about it. It will engage them and help them understand the situation even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your approaches for solving the technology implementation issues all sound like really great plans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your implementation in the classroom! Plagiarism and cyber-bullying work hand-in-hand to having a proper understanding of internet etiquette, and more plainly: internet morals. Not understanding these basic principles can truly ruin a career -- or in the case of cyber bullying, a life!

    ReplyDelete