Tuesday, February 28, 2017

ILP "Design" - Prezi

For my first Independent Learning Project, I wanted to create an informative presentation that I could connect to personally, that also correlated to education using two web 2.0 technology websites. I decided to create a Prezi and attempted to share my Prezi presentation to another web 2.0 website called SlideShare, which is the website I introduced to the class through Diigo.
To ensure that I got the most of my learning experience on a topic that I find interesting and personal, I researched and found a peer-reviewed article on the reading learning profile of students with Down Syndrome.
 I connected to this topic personally because my older brother has Down Syndrome. I used the article an a means of educating my audience about what Down Syndrome is, and related it to education and teaching by informing the audience that students with Down Syndrome can indeed read, which is a misconception that many people may not be aware of.
I also, presented suggestions from the article on strategies to use in the classroom to teach students with special needs how to read that may be beneficial to current teachers, and future teachers who work with students with special needs.
Navigating through Prezi for the first time was slightly more difficult than PowerPoint, and it took some time for me to learn how to incorporate certain features. I Also added a picture of my brother and my nephew to my Prezi to add my personal touch, and a video of a teacher teaching a child how to read using strategies that was mentioned in the article.
I noticed that on Prezi, there are some free feature available to users, but certain features such as downloading the presentation onto your computer was only available for those who purchase Prezi Pro. When attempting to upload my Prezi using a URL link to SlideShare, I learned that the two web 2.0 websites are not compatible.
Therefore, to upload presentations on SlideShare, users either need to have purchased Prezi Pro to download a PDF file or use compatible software such as OneDocumentText and Spreadsheet, Microsoft Word Docs, Window Media files etc.
Though I was unable to combine the two web 2.0 websites, I learned a great deal about the websites strengths and limitations.

http://prezi.com/afzxt4tqn4h9/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I like your blog background. Very tech-y. Also, I reviewed your Prezi and it's very well done. I agree, PowerPoint is easier for me than Prezi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was difficult to locate most of the features I typically use in PowerPoint. Prezi is cool to use but I rather stick with PowerPoint.

      Delete
  3. I loved your Prezi and found it interesting on why you chose that topic. How were you able to place a video into your presentation? I thought that was a great addition to your project. Also, here is a great video that I think you would enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV6Av4WdCOc
    And here is a good link to an article:
    https://www.down-syndrome.org/information/reading/overview/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I appreciate it. I was able to incorporate a video in the Prezi by copying the YouTube URL, clicking insert video from YouTube, and pasting the URL. The video immediately popped up. What I like about this feature is that you can watch the video in the presentation instead of having to exit the presentation or open another window to view the video like in PowerPoint. I also look forward to checking out the linked article and video.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your presentation did a great job going through what down syndrome is and why it is important to incorporate this into education. Do you think you can create a lesson as a teacher strictly on down syndrome? Embedding video clips into the Prezi is a great way to keep students engaged with curriculum in a fun and engaging way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alex, thank you for the feedback. I wouldn't necessarily create a lesson for students strictly on Down Syndrome unless I am teaching a Biology, or Child Development class. The purpose of the Prezi presentation topic is more so to inform and communicate with other professionals who interact with the special needs population.

      Delete
  6. I thought this prezi was put together really well. It was easy to look at and very informative. I really liked how you included a personal photo and also incorporated a video. I think adding these things will really help students pay attention. Maybe next time you can split up the information a little more to make it easier for students to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. I agree that next time I should definitely break the information up a bit. I did have some trouble fitting all of the types words into the circle. That could have been my indication to split up the information

      Delete
  7. I think you did a good job of using the zoom in and out feature without it being too distracting. I also think the presentation seemed well researched and presented clearly. I also thought including personal pictures and videos was a good way to keep the presentation interesting.

    ReplyDelete