Monday, February 27, 2017

Post #6

I came across a website of a combined elementary/middle school named The Lyme School in New Hampshire. The class page that I observed is Mrs. Wilcox's first grade class. The information presented on the class page for the public to see include a blogger page, homework section, newsletters, a weekly schedule, and information about the teacher. On this class page I did not have the access to view or write comments.


The way I envision myself using technology to accomplish my professional responsibility more efficiently and effectively as suggested in the podcast is by saving digital versions of lesson plans to update and use for years to come.
 I could also post my lesson plans on teacher websites to share thoughts and ideas with other teachers. In this way, I could work efficiently by saving time creating new lesson plans every week. Instead, I will be able to update digital lessons plans for later use. 
Sharing lesson plans enables other professionals to increase productivity, making collaborations more  efficient and teaching more effective. 
I can also envision myself using productivity software in my future profession to assist me in "accomplishing the administrative, professional, and management tasks associated with the profession" (Lever-Duffy, McDonald, 2015, p.146). I could perform tasks such as memos, letters, reports, and budget sheets. This will allow me to be organized, making my responsibility as a professional as efficiently and effectively.

Our class field trip to the Technology Sandbox was an experience to remember. The technology displayed in the Tech Sandbox that I believe would be most helpful in the classroom is Osmos. It is an interactive game that students could competitively play against other students, or play independently to learn a number of concepts such as shapes, ABC's, geography, math, etc. For example, I was given the opportunity to play a geography based activity using Osmos by spelling out state names and capitals using tile letters, to match to and outlined map of the United States on the tablet screen. This particular activity can be very effective in a middle school Geography course. I believe that this technology can be used to teach students in any grade level and in any subject, which is effective because it is universal and adaptive. 

3 comments:

  1. I saw you play with the Osmos and also thought it was a very interesting piece of tech. I think students would love this interaction with letters, rather than pen and paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And I learned a lot within the 45 minute visit to the Tech Sandbox, and I am really excited for the next ILP where I get to test these tools out again.

      Delete
  2. I loved Osmos too! I have always loved geography and anyway to make it more fun and exciting to students is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete